Friday, May 30, 2014

"It's not down on any map, true places never are..."


The Say What!!?? Gallery in Tannersville, NY had a show this winter about the quote "Its not down on any map, true places never are" from Moby Dick by Herman Melville. Love is not down on any map, but we all have an internal compass to get there. Poets express this. Here are four guiding quotes, set to the four cardinal directions. These thoughts can help find the way.

True North: 
"Love is the voice under all silences, the hope which has no opposite in fear; the strength so strong mere force is feebleness: the truth more first than sun, more last than star..." e.e. cummings

True East:
"Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it." Rumi


True South:
"I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you simply, without problems or pride: I love you in this way because I do not know any other way of loving but this, in which there is no I or you, so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand, so intimate that when I fall asleep your eyes close." Pablo Neruda


True West:
"Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky." Rilke

Visit our Pop Up shop to see this as a scarf.


No comments:

Post a Comment